Contest for Young Writers RULES
This annual writing contest is open to all students of Peterborough and area high schools. It encourages students to refine their skills, share their work, and possibly earn national recognition and prizes.
GRADE / LEVEL DIVISIONS:
Junior Level, Grades 9 – 10
Senior Level, Grades 11 – 12
CATEGORIES: Writers may submit one entry in any, or all, of the three categories.
- PROSE FICTION: creative prose that could include a personal reflection, science-fiction, mystery, realistic narrative, or historical fiction.
- PROSE NON-FICTION: a persuasive argument that could include a speech, editorial, rant, opinion piece, or personal essay.
- POETRY: any form of poetry.
Prose must be 500 -1000 words in length.
Poem has no minimum length; maximum is restricted to two pages
ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED DOUBLE-SPACED IN TIMES NEW ROMAN, 12-PT FONT.
ORIGINALITY: All entries must be original work. Writers should seek the advice of a mentor such as a teacher, friend, parent, and/or peer for feedback and editing support.
- A title page must include: title, category, and writer’s name, address, email, phone number, grade, school, and teacher.
- Submit any time as an attached word document to LLFSWC2019@gmail.com
Questions may be directed to the contest coordinators.
Andrew Milner: firstname.lastname@example.org or Cynthia Rankin: email@example.com
DEADLINE: Monday, May 13, 2019.
PRIZES: The winners in each category will receive $200, a plaque, and three complimentary tickets to attend the afternoon festival event on Saturday, July 13th, 2019 to receive awards and meet with nationally known authors. Winning entries will be published as part of the Contest for Young Writers Contest e-book on the festival website.