2020 Contest for Young Writers 2020
This annual writing contest is open to all students of Peterborough and area high schools. It
encourages students to refine their skills, share their work, and possibly earn national
recognition and prizes.
GRADE / LEVEL DIVISIONS: Junior Level, Grades 9 – 10
Senior Level, Grades 11 – 12
CATEGORIES: Writers may submit one entry in any, or all, of the three categories. All entries
must have one author only.
• PROSE FICTION could include a personal reflection, science-fiction, mystery, realistic
narrative, or historical fiction.
• PROSE NON-FICTION could include a speech, editorial, rant, opinion piece, or personal
• POETRY: any form of poetry.
LENGTH: Prose must be 500 -1000 words in length.
Poem has no minimum length; maximum is restricted to two pages.
ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED DOUBLE-SPACED IN TIMES NEW ROMAN, 12-PT FONT.
ORIGINALITY: All entries must be original work. Writers should seek the advice of a mentor
such as a teacher, friend, parent, and/or peer for feedback and editing support.
• A title page must include: title, category, and writer’s name, address, email, phone
number, grade, school, and teacher.
• Submit any time as an attached Word document to LLFSWC2020@gmail.com
DEADLINE: Monday, May 11, 2020.
PRIZES: The winners in each category will receive $200, a plaque, and three complimentary
tickets to attend the afternoon festival event on Saturday, July 11th, 2020 to receive awards and
meet with nationally known authors. Winning entries will be published as part of the Contest for
Young Writers Contest e-book on the festival website.
Questions may be directed to the contest coordinators:
Andrew Milner: firstname.lastname@example.org or Cynthia Rankin: email@example.com