How to Enter
Just do it! This contest is open to all students of Peterborough and area high schools and all home schooled students of equivalent high school grade
levels. Entering this contest is a personal choice and a great opportunity to discover your abilities as a writer. The judges comment on every eligible entry, giving feedback on every entrant’s writing. To be inspired, read the stories of past winners in our ebook.
- Watch for the contest poster which will go up in your school in February. Check this web site as well.
- Acquire a copy of the contest rules from your teacher or print a copy from this website. Study the rules carefully. Take careful note of the deadline date. Make sure all the rules are met, especially the instructions given in item six regarding the title page.
- Your story or poem must be original and meet legal copyright standards.
- Revise, edit, and proofread your story or poem to make it the best it can be. Have someone whose judgement you trust read your work and comment. Read your work aloud (record and listen to it, if possible) and revise where necessary.
- Submit 4 printed copies of your story to your teacher. They will be picked up by a member of the contest committee; or you may mail it to: Young Writers at the Lakefield Literary Festival, Box 1114, Lakefield, ON, K0L 2H0.
So, just do it. You could be a winner! You could be a runner-up! You could be published!
In any case, thank you for your effort, your willingness to take a risk, for taking up your “pen” and facing the blank sheet of paper, and for making this contest such rewarding fun.